Frugal Birthday: Minute To Win It Party…

My son loves Minute to Win it. It’s a game show where the contestants must complete a game within one minute. The games are silly, fun & most require simple household items – perfect party entertainment!

I reserved a City Park a little over a month before the party (FREE!) and started working on pulling this together…

Invitations…

Homemade Invitations, about $0.08 each – I had most items, just needed the blue paper (inspired by Paper Perfection and Angie Allen).

Games…

Elephant March

Face the Cookie

Suck it Up

NBC has a great list of the Minute to Win it Games. I watched the videos & created a list based on the ability of a 7 year old to complete the game & the cost of the supplies. Here’s what I came up with:

*These games didn’t work out with the non-stop wind

Supply list:

• Empty Kleenex Box & Belt
  • Ping Pong Balls
  • Cups
  • Baseball
  • Pantyhose (remember Walgreens Wednesday?)
  • Bottled Water
  • Spray Bottles
  • Balloons
  • Oreos
  • M&M’s
  • Straws
  • Paper

Sweet Treats…

Homemade Cupcakes – I had most of the items in my pantry, but I did have to search for those red, white & blue sprinkles and finally found them at Albertsons for $1.59. I also opted for individual ice cream cups (much easier to serve at the park), $5.97 for 3 packs.

Party Favors…

Party Favors, about $1.87 each. I found these water bottles at the Dollar Tree & added some vinyl lettering (from what I read, it will stay on as long as the bottle is hand washed). The candy is in sandwich bags, topped with a homemade label (these have a “please hand wash your water bottle” note on the back).

If you’re thinking about hosting a Minute to Win it Birthday Party – summer is the perfect time to look for Red, White & Blue supplies!

This entry was posted in Party.

37 comments

1. Suzanne says:

I’ve only seen the show a couple of times, so I wanted to know why the red, white and blue theme? Are those the colors of the show? Also how did you get a copy of the logo for your invites? My daughter turns 12 in a couple weeks and I think she’d love a party like this.

• Crystal says:

The logo is red, white & blue – but you could really use any colors that you wanted. I just googled the logo (the logo at the top of this post is the one I used).

2. tricia says:

Thanks for sharing! We are going to do the games at the church youth retreat for the kids this weekend! Great fun!

3. Nic says:

Thanks for all of your hard work! It made throwing my party a hit and a cinch. I copied the favor ideas and they were also a huge bonus.

4. Lisa P says:

Thank you so much for posting this! My boys just told me they want a Minute to Win it b-day party next month. I’ve never seen the show so I’m DVR-ing it. But this will surely help as well!!! Everything looks so fun and what great party favors!!

5. Mandy says:

I was just looking for minute to win it supplies and came upon this and got some great ideas!!!! Thanks so much for posting, looks like a lot of fun. Can’t wait for my party!
    *mickysnicky*

• Shannon says:

Hi, trying to plan a party. Could I ask you the ideas for your party. Decorating ideas I mean. Thanks,Shannon

6. Gina says:

This was a huge help. I’m just curious about the logistics – How did you end up playing & scoring the games with a larger number of people. Individually, as teams, one person at a time, etc?

• Crystal says:

We just did it individually and didn’t really keep score (although each game had a winner). There’s a link above to “Do A Little Dance” – she has great inspiration for team playing.

7. Anonymous says:

I was trying to find ideas since my son wanted a minute to win it party and all your details solved everything. Just one quick question – where did you dfing the vinyl lettering for the water bottles? Thanks.

• Crystal says:

I actually made the letters with my Cricut, but I would guess that you could find some similar to that at Michael’s?

8. Kelly says:

Great ideas guys!! I am so excited. I did not know what to do about my daughters party this Sunday but this will be perfect!! Both of my daughter’s love this show and it’s inexpensive!!!

9. Kelly (A different Kelly) says:

Hello,
    I just googled “Minute to Win It 7 year olds” and came across your blog. My son is turning 7 next month and we are also planning a “Minute to Win It” birthday and I wanted to ask if you had any tips or suggestions…what went wrong? what went right? anything you would do the same or different? I would appreciate it if you could email me Kelly.Lutzow@yahoo.com and let me know!! Thanks so much!!

10. Suzanne says:

My boy’s 9th birthday last year was a Minute to Win It party. It was SO fun!! I had planned for 10 games, but some they wanted to do again just for fun so we only got through 7. The kids loved it!

11. Taunya says:

Is there anyway to get a PDF of those invites? I’m trying to plan my sons 11th party in a couple of weeks and we LOVE these invitations!!

12. Audrey says:

What cute ideas, can you send me the templete for the invites. Super cute and would love to do the same design. Thanks & keep on blogging

13. Barbara-Ann says:

What did you do for a birthday cake? We are doing the same theme for our 8 year old, and I know we are doing a Minute to Win It logoed cake, but I was wondering what catchy phrase you may have had instead of the standard “happy Birthday” Thanks!!

14. lovee@iheartclearance.com says:

I came across this page doing a search to plan my son’s 10 year birthday party theme…I guess it’s not as orignial as I thought LOL. I’m just adding a little spin to it. He wants to be a Trillionaire when he grows up so it will also be heavily “money” themed and the person closer to win Ten Trillion dollars wins. I will have prizes they can cash in there money for at the end of the game. Wish me luck…I will come back and comment with a link to pictures after the party Sept 22!

15. Meri says:

My daughter and I love this game show. Since her birthday is in December, it is hard to find different establishments to have it at each year. So I was excited to find your blog when I began searching for ideas for the different games. I wanted to ask what you used to hold the straws that they are to place the candy on. Is it regular straws or a harder version? Thank you for your ideas!!

16. Ellen says:

Just had a minute it to win it Christmas party for middle school students and it was a hit. Now I am planning a birthday party for my eight year old son. Please send the invite. Thanks

17. Cheryl says:

Great ideas!! Is it possible to get a template/pdf of the invitations? Excited to try a “Minute to Win it” party! Great job!

18. Jessica says:

Great ideas! I’m doing this for my 30th in a couple of months. Just wanted to ask what font you used for the invitations?

Thanks